Dictation is when you say a word out loud (a word containing the sound of the week) and your child hears the word and writes it down on their student board. This is a great opportunity for your child to reference the sound/spelling card! You can purchase all of my sound/spelling cards including ones NOT included in the subscription boxes HERE.
Dictation is a great way to practice listening to the sound, stretching the sounds in the word, and practice spelling.
Here are the steps for dictation:
- Give your child the student board and a marker
- Make sure the sound/spelling card is visible for their reference
- Choose 4-5 words that contain the sound/spelling pattern you are working on that week
- Say one of the words and have your child stretch the sounds on their hand (make sure they are saying the sounds OUT LOUD so you can identify any errors).
- Have your child write the word down after stretching the sounds and remind them to underline the sound that you are working on that week.
- Correct any errors in their spelling by doing the following:
- As your child writes the word, write the word on your board and keep it hidden from them
- When they finish writing show them your board and have them check and see if their spelling matches yours, let them give themselves a check or a smiley face if it does! If it doesn’t use it as an opportunity to figure out where they made their mistake and have them fix it on their board.
- Continue on with the rest of the words
- If you have time dictate a sentence in the same manner
- When you are finished have your child touch each word and read it as they erase, any extra reading practice won’t hurt!